Friday, July 16, 2010

Copyright Infringement?

I have this idea for a web site that takes data from certain mainstream magazines pertaining to a certain type of product. (I hesitate to say exactly what because I don't want anyone else jumping on this). My intent is to make a consumer friendly site that makes it easy to find specific stats regarding the nature of these said products. Specifically I would like to know if taking stats out of magazines and publishing them on a web site would warrant any type of legal action against me. I do not intend to copy any of the article text or anything else except the statistical results that have resulted from the research of thesse magazines.





Any advice would be much appreciated.

Copyright Infringement?
Facts are not copyrighted, the presentation of facts is. If you quote some statistics from a magazine, you are not violating their copyright. If you scan a page from a magazine, you are violating copyright.





This stuf can get pretty hair-splitting. Consult a lawyer if you are not sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment